Aussie Miniature Equines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all Australians who own and love Miniature Horses and Ponies.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Still miss my COBRA heaps
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am by howlwolfranch

» Deshifuck.mobi
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am by maritame

» Download Livros De Fisioterapia Uroginecologia
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm by maritame

» Aurora 3D Presentation 2012 12.03.24
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 am by maritame

» Hot Village Maid Aunty Seduces The Youth And Blackmail Him Target=
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 6:47 am by maritame

» Getting yellowed/blonde manes & tails looking clean!?
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm by Dash_01

» We are new too!
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm by Dash_01

» Face Book...
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am by Craig Rheynolds

» Craig Rheynolds
Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 am by Craig Rheynolds

Top posters
PONYKID
Concentrates & Supplements Vote_lcapConcentrates & Supplements Voting_barConcentrates & Supplements Vote_rcap 
mineees
Concentrates & Supplements Vote_lcapConcentrates & Supplements Voting_barConcentrates & Supplements Vote_rcap 
aliasmel
Willowmoss
deltree
YarrehLane
Sialer Park Mini Stud
mysticalmeadows
kimmini
misty meadow miniatures
Like us on Facebook!
Gallery
Concentrates & Supplements Empty
Poll
Breeders Poll
I breed foals with my own stallion
Concentrates & Supplements Vote_lcap56%Concentrates & Supplements Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
I breed foals with an outside stallion
Concentrates & Supplements Vote_lcap33%Concentrates & Supplements Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
I buy mares that are already in foal
Concentrates & Supplements Vote_lcap0%Concentrates & Supplements Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I buy weanlings to raise
Concentrates & Supplements Vote_lcap0%Concentrates & Supplements Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
Concentrates & Supplements Vote_lcap11%Concentrates & Supplements Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Concentrates & Supplements

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

PostSubject: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 10:08 am

After having a discussion with our local feed store about our dissatisfaction with feeds I have used in the past I was curious as to what other mini owners feed their horses, and if you have had any bad experiences with a particular brand in the past? I currently use HyGain and we are very happy with it...but they are always trying to get me to change!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yarrehlane.webs.com
remaani
Contributor
Contributor
remaani

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 3:10 am

Hi YarrehLane.... Smile

I use to feed Pegasus Studmaster (pellet designed for youngsters, broodmares etc) to my young horses & oats for the adults with a coat supplement, Full Fat Soy.

I've changed now & using Hygain Showtorque & Grotorque with wonderful results & i don't see the need for any other supplements bar a quality vit/min only as i don't feed the required amounts of the S or G.

I have a rising 5yo Arabian Pony whom is an absolute delight to show, fully halter trained but hasn't got that "spark or spunk" in the ring, i like the horses i show a bit hot to give them that edge, kinda like "look at me - me only!"
Oil, oats, Showtorque etc etc didn't give us that so someone told me to try Mitavite Formula 3 (for Racehorses). Didn't give us that extra bit i wanted but her body condition & coat (no extra supplements) certainly agreed with this feed, lol. scratch Laughing

Last edited by remaani on Fri May 28, 2010 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added "Don't" in as it looked like i said supplements are needed LOL)
Back to top Go down
http://www.remaanilodgestud.webs.com/
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 3:38 am

I am currently using Hygain Balanced, mainly because I have a broodmare who had laminitis and tried a few other products but this one has her coat shining and her weight back on...she wasn't overweight to begin with and feeding a foal meant she lost a weight. I find it easier to just have one feed as it's too confusing for husband at feed times otherwise. lol Oh and I use equilbrium as well and have done for the past 4 years.
In the past I have used Mitavite:which dried all the coats out and then a mitavite rep told me I was meant to feed them their oil as well, but if you are going to pay that much for a feed I expect everything to be in there. I won't be switching from Hygain but I was just curious as to success and failures of other mini owners. Smile
Back to top Go down
mini_mad
Frequent User
Frequent User
mini_mad

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 8:31 am

Have tried so many different things with my little ones - robank's progress (broodmares & growing horses), show pony pellets, cool and calm pellets, muesli, etc....

After a long time of changing feeds to try and get a good diet and maximum benefits from their feed i know have my show guys on:
Oaten Chaff, Hygain Balanced, Livamol, Linseed oil, Garlic and twice weekly they get Speedi Beet.

My other minis that are not showing get Oaten Chaff, KER Low GI Pellets, Garlic and Speedi beet twice weekly too.

They all get 1/2 biscuit of Oaten Hay daily and 2 hard feeds daily.

I dont feed my minis lucern in any way (chaff or hay) as i have discovered with my guys it tends to bloat them out and can also heat up their skin which in turn can (and has) create itchy skin.

For good top line on the young ones i use weight gain or prydes easi results.

I swear by a teaspoon of garlic daily in their feeds - it helps keep and winter bugs at bay (snotty noses, coughs etc) and in summer keeps the flies away.

The show boys have a pick paddock of a day and stabled at night.

Some have added herbs for other issues - skin problems, joint flexibility etc.
for 1 of them i also use Khonkes own Trim which helps considerably with cresty necks and fatty deposits.

Interested to hear what everyone else uses
Very Happy

My big boys (16hh +) have a totally different feed regime though lol
Back to top Go down
http://enchantmentstud.yolasite.com/
aliasmel
aliasmel

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 11:50 am

My horses (big and small) and lucerne cubes and robanks non heating stud mix...
when they are being show they get two level formula scoops of livamol.
Back to top Go down
http://cherrywoodminiatures.webs.com/
PONYKID
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:01 pm

How long after you start using the Livamol do you start seeing a difference in the horses? I usually put mine onto sunflower oil when preparing them for a show to get the gleam in their coat and it gives them that extra bit of spark.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theponykid.webs.com
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 9:00 am

I use Livermol on our stallion too as he looses all his colour when clipped and it helps darken it up underneath. Livermol doesn't work on all horses though and on some it causes them to dapple instead of having even colour so I wouldn't recommend starting to use it right before showing. It can take a good few weeks to see to the difference though...but we have had people ask if we got a new stallion when we first started using it as his colour was so different.
Back to top Go down
aliasmel
aliasmel

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Well the last show I took dear little cappa too i had been using the livamol for about a month... And then clipped him and that was his coat under neath and well you see he got 2nd in that big class.

When I clipped warrior and he was on livamol he was jet black,this time round he wasnt on it and went a grey colour.

And shatter,I notied her coat went alot darker as well.

But my stud mix has sun flowers in it too so that helps.

But it is expensive.
For two kilos its around $15 for a big bag its like $90 but would last forever with just the minis getting it.
But be warned....the rats LOVE it and will do anything to get to it..so will big oaths of thoroughbreds who steal it and have red powder all around their mouth and look at you like "what did I do?"
Back to top Go down
http://cherrywoodminiatures.webs.com/
PONYKID
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 8:08 am

Yeah Cappa did look great, so I wonder if it was the sunflower or the livamol then? I have often considered buying it, see the price and go, ummm I will pass for now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theponykid.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concentrates & Supplements   Concentrates & Supplements Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concentrates & Supplements
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aussie Miniature Equines :: Horse Topics :: Health / Nutrition-
Jump to: