Aussie Miniature Equines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all Australians who own and love Miniature Horses and Ponies.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Still miss my COBRA heaps
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am by howlwolfranch

» Deshifuck.mobi
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am by maritame

» Download Livros De Fisioterapia Uroginecologia
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm by maritame

» Aurora 3D Presentation 2012 12.03.24
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 am by maritame

» Hot Village Maid Aunty Seduces The Youth And Blackmail Him Target=
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 6:47 am by maritame

» Getting yellowed/blonde manes & tails looking clean!?
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm by Dash_01

» We are new too!
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm by Dash_01

» Face Book...
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am by Craig Rheynolds

» Craig Rheynolds
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 am by Craig Rheynolds

Top posters
PONYKID
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_lcapAMPS & Clipping (split thread) Voting_barAMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_rcap 
mineees
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_lcapAMPS & Clipping (split thread) Voting_barAMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_rcap 
aliasmel
Willowmoss
deltree
YarrehLane
Sialer Park Mini Stud
mysticalmeadows
kimmini
misty meadow miniatures
Like us on Facebook!
Gallery
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Empty
Poll
Breeders Poll
I breed foals with my own stallion
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_lcap56%AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
I breed foals with an outside stallion
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_lcap33%AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
I buy mares that are already in foal
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_lcap0%AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I buy weanlings to raise
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_lcap0%AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_lcap11%AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

AMPS & Clipping (split thread)

Go down 
+3
Sialer Park Mini Stud
PONYKID
kimmini
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

PostSubject: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 12:50 am

If they are dual reg as in shettie and mini you leave the feathers on,but in saying that your not surpost to clip shetties.if just mini pony you are able to take feathers off.Thats with AMPS anyway.
My girl is AMPS,NMR and soon to be IMHR and I take feathers off, clip ears out and have just a very small bridle path.

Last edited by PONYKID on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thread is split from "Zee Clipping Fairy Has Been" as it had gone off topic.)
Back to top Go down
PONYKID
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 am

That's interesting to learn because I have been told by several AMPS breeders/showers that feathers must be left on even when clipped. I do think ponies look heaps better with feather anyway, otherwise they look too 'horsey'. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.theponykid.webs.com
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 5:19 am

There was a special resolution made a few years ago that changed the way we could present them.
The only mini ponies shown down here with feather are the ones that are small shettie too.
I prefer the clean leg look,and we dont have 8 inch long bridle paths.There is a big difference in the standards for horse and pony aswell.
Back to top Go down
PONYKID
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 am

I also read in an AMPS guidelines booklet that feathers should be left on, but that is a few years old now so you could be right in that it has changed. At a show last weekend there was a lot of bitching going on amongst the AMPS people because there was someone with several in the AMPS classes that were bodyclipped like a horse, and had the build of a horse. It is just disappointing that the line between the two is becoming so blurry now.
Back to top Go down
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 5:57 am

Trust me it has changed,even bridle paths have got longer but I like the shorter one.
You can even dye them now to if thats what you prefer.When I became a member of AMPS god 20 plus yrs ago they had to be totally natural, leg feathers a tiny bridle path,no dyeing and prefer natural coat.
So they are moveing with the times.
What I dont agree with is in one state some people plait and put false tails in,,,go figure.
Back to top Go down
PONYKID
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 7:44 am

Crikey! a couple of years ago when I was showing at an Ag show, the rules stated ponies must be AMPS registered and shown in full natural coat. As with most Ag shows, the judge didn't read the rules and the pony that was given Supreme was body clipped and a protest was put in by another competitor and upheld. This is partially the reason I thought clipping was still a big no-no until I read in the AMPS guidelines that they can now be clipped, but not presented like a horse would be.
Back to top Go down
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

PostSubject: AMPS & Clipping   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 am

Clipped or not the winning animal should have the full package,comformation,body, style,movement and last of all presentation.
One judges pick could be totally different to the next ones pick. Thats showing for you,I enjoy showing and dont always come home with a sash,but I have had a great day out with my friends and my pony.
I hope you all have a great weekend,win,loose or draw.
Back to top Go down
Sialer Park Mini Stud
Valued User
Valued User
Sialer Park Mini Stud

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 1:59 am

You can show clipped OR in full natural coat... It is OPTIONAL... YOU alone make the decision.

Same with feathers... It is OPTIONAL... But you wont see the best studs in the country (which happen to be in Vic), showing their mini ponies with feathers....

The only mini ponies I can recall seeing shown here with feathers are those that are also SMALL Shetland.

AS for plaiting & false tails, it is NOT illegal. There is no rule stating that you can't do either/both. Those ones you refer Leanne, also use quartermarks!!! Again, nothing in the rule book.

I personally prefer miniature ponies to look like PONIES, not miniature horses... Some of the minis now are getting too fine, & are losing the 'pony' look. But then, a lot of them are using 1 miniature horse parent, which is why they are getting more refined.

Kay, if you prefer to show your ponies with feathers or in full coat, then go ahead.. You should NOT be marked down for it... Judges are supposed to be judging the quality, conformation & overall appearance/presentation of the pony, not how much hair it has...

Too many judges look for (& place) a pretty head, or flashy movement, but that is only 1 part of the overall package... They must look at everything....
Back to top Go down
http://www.sialerparkministud.com
aliasmel
aliasmel

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 2:08 am

Personally....I think by clipping they are erring on the side of horses!......
Just my opinion!

And what makes you say the best studs are in Victoria? are you saying you yourself are one of the best studs and you alone have decided all the studs outside of Vic are crap? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://cherrywoodminiatures.webs.com/
Sialer Park Mini Stud
Valued User
Valued User
Sialer Park Mini Stud

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 2:22 am

No Mel, I am not saying I am one of the best studs... I am still getting there, but I do know that I have ponies that are of equal quality to those at the top, same as Leanne does... Our ponies (Mine and Leeanes) have already proven that by winning at the 'big shows'.

I think it would be fairly correct in saying that yes, the best miniature pony studs are in Victoria.

Back to top Go down
http://www.sialerparkministud.com
PONYKID
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 4:10 am

Sialer Park Mini Stud wrote:
Kay, if you prefer to show your ponies with feathers or in full coat, then go ahead.. You should NOT be marked down for it... Judges are supposed to be judging the quality, conformation & overall appearance/presentation of the pony, not how much hair it has...

Too many judges look for (& place) a pretty head, or flashy movement, but that is only 1 part of the overall package... They must look at everything....

I agree with what you say, but it doesn't seem to happen (at the shows I go to anyway, but I am not showing at your high level). Even with feathers I have been told my pony (and he is definitely pony - no horse traits at all) looks "too horsey". I have also been told he has an amazing trot and lovely head with soft eyes, but he is "not stalliony enough". How am I supposed to know how to improve when I am being given confusing feedback? What ARE they judging him on??? Suspect
Back to top Go down
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 5:09 am

We all have different ways we breed, present and show and that is our right to do so.
Really who cares what the next person is doing,its surpost to be for the fun of it,,I know it is with me. And if mine are finer than others, so be it.Its what I prefer.
All this started by someone being told they shouldnt have taken feathers off.I disagreed.
So lets just go out there, have fun showing your ponies and horses how every you present.
Back to top Go down
Willowmoss
Willowmoss

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 11:56 am

I have in the past clipped my show ponies only when there coat is changing and when it has been a major show.

Now days i wont clip seeing as i only do the odd ag show. I also leave feathers on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/willowmossponystud
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:53 am

Forgot to add, that there are good pony studs right across the country.Not just in Vic,thats a big statement to make!!!
Back to top Go down
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 2:38 am

My opinion really doesn't count as I only show horses, but I agree the line is becoming too blurred between the two. I prefer ponies unclipped with feathers in their natural state...to be shown on their own merits. I have a hard enough time telling people that we own miniature horses not ponies when they now basically look the same. Breeding the 2 together for refinement just makes things worse as they than lose their ponyness and allows people to then pick and chose which category they enter into to have the best chance on the day. Yes I have seen this first hand and heard a lot of cases about it too! Sad And whether something is illegal or not doesn't make it right...shows have basically become beauty contests now with the clipping in the pony circle and the make up in the horse world...all we need now is false teeth or do they already do that too! lol Whether they are meant to or not it is hard for a judge to look past the glamourized presentation as of course it will grab their attention.

I would love to see a natural show and see which horse/pony would win without the glamour! confused confused

Back to top Go down
http://www.yarrehlane.webs.com
mineees
mineees

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 5:28 pm

shetties over here have to be in full coat,no bridle path or trims or anything.And as for clipping ponies,Ive tried the non clipping show thing and when your up against all the others that are clipped,there is just no comparison.clipping brings out the finer details and defines the head more.they just look so much more like show pony.horses look like small arabs and ponies look like a nice heavy welsh type pony.And I know welshies arnt clipped,but they dont get as hairy as the minis...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AMPS & Clipping (split thread)   AMPS & Clipping (split thread) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AMPS & Clipping (split thread)
Page 1 of 1