Aussie Miniature Equines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all Australians who own and love Miniature Horses and Ponies.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Still miss my COBRA heaps
please help me!  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am by howlwolfranch

» Deshifuck.mobi
please help me!  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am by maritame

» Download Livros De Fisioterapia Uroginecologia
please help me!  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm by maritame

» Aurora 3D Presentation 2012 12.03.24
please help me!  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 am by maritame

» Hot Village Maid Aunty Seduces The Youth And Blackmail Him Target=
please help me!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 6:47 am by maritame

» Getting yellowed/blonde manes & tails looking clean!?
please help me!  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm by Dash_01

» We are new too!
please help me!  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm by Dash_01

» Face Book...
please help me!  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am by Craig Rheynolds

» Craig Rheynolds
please help me!  Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 am by Craig Rheynolds

Top posters
PONYKID
please help me!  Vote_lcapplease help me!  Voting_barplease help me!  Vote_rcap 
mineees
aliasmel
Willowmoss
deltree
YarrehLane
Sialer Park Mini Stud
mysticalmeadows
kimmini
misty meadow miniatures
Like us on Facebook!
Gallery
please help me!  Empty
Poll
Breeders Poll
I breed foals with my own stallion
please help me!  Vote_lcap56%please help me!  Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
I breed foals with an outside stallion
please help me!  Vote_lcap33%please help me!  Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
I buy mares that are already in foal
please help me!  Vote_lcap0%please help me!  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I buy weanlings to raise
please help me!  Vote_lcap0%please help me!  Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
please help me!  Vote_lcap11%please help me!  Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

please help me!

Go down 
+2
Willowmoss
mysticalmeadows
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mysticalmeadows
Valued User
Valued User

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:47 am

im at my wits end with my lil man!
he keeps wanting to chomp on everything and everyone, he is nearly 5 months old, loves to bite on everything! u walk up to him and he starts chomping! i cant even think about showing him this year he is just tooo horrid!!
how do i get him out of this?
and is there anyway u can stop him from raring up??
what makes u decide if u want to geld him or not?
thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
Willowmoss
Willowmoss

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:21 am

My little boy gets a smack for biting, not that he does it very often. Rearing up i was advised to distract them when they are going to or in the process of doing it. Seems to work so far. Others may have suggestions, would also like to hear.

As for gelding, its up to you. Do you need a colt/stallion? does he have qualitiies that you would like to see passed on to future offspring? whats his conformation like? Do you think he would make a better gelding?

My boy as massive shoes to fill. If he dosnt continue growing into stallion material, he will be gelded. Hope all this is some help

Em
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/willowmossponystud
mysticalmeadows
Valued User
Valued User

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 11:42 am

thanks for that! i was smacking him but got told it could make him headshy? so now i either flick him or pinch his mouth area!! he just isnt learnin NO!!!
he doesnt rare up tooo much though today when he was in a mood he did!
he is a gorgeous lil man but just his chompin thing!

can i upload videos here? would love to show u exactly what he does
Back to top Go down
wendy63

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 4:46 am

Hi, my little colt sometimes tries to nip, at this stage I poke him with my finger at the side of his mouth, where it is soft and he should pull back.
It will teach him that if he goes to bite he will feel some pain and stop. I have done this several times with my colt and he no longer even tries to nip.

Hope this helps and it needs to be done consistently.

Wendy.
Back to top Go down
mysticalmeadows
Valued User
Valued User

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 5:21 am

i have been doing it over and over and he just wont learn!
Back to top Go down
deltree
deltree

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:37 am

Sounds frustrating! My oldest colt was a really annoying biter when he first came. I did research on heaps of forums on it, and finally settled on the pinching method as the best (so to not make him head shy). After a bit of practice (you have to get hold of them really quick!) I modified my method to grabbing the mouth/nose area (anywhere) with my fingers, twisting really hard and holding for about 3 seconds at the same time as growling or doing my "ah, ah, ah!" (aka "you naughty bugger!). Whenever he tries it now (very rare, but he's a boy - he likes to push his limits!) he gets the "nah-uh"/growl thing as a warning at first (99% of the time will stop him there) but if he proceeds, he gets the pinch. And that'll cure him for another few months, LOL! (boys, i tell ya!)

I found that worked best for my guy. I've started the same on the youngest colt (3 months old) as he's decided he likes to munch on everything. Working so far Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.deltreephoto.webs.com
mysticalmeadows
Valued User
Valued User

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:23 pm

that is the method i have been using and he still insists on chomping EVERYTHING!!! he is such a lovely lil guy, and can be a sweetie if he gets over this horrid horrid habbit!
Back to top Go down
deltree
deltree

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 am

Have you been associating the voice command with it? Or even saying "NO" really firmly - I think it's important they have a consistent voice "warning" to go with the habit, and again when they still continue to bite. Also send him out of your space/"bubble". That was something I forgot to say in my original post. If not, then I don't know what else to suggest sorry :-(
Back to top Go down
http://www.deltreephoto.webs.com
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 11:13 am

Have you checked his mouth to make sure everything is ok in there and nothing is bothering him which is leading to him want to bite?

If nothing is wrong try teaching him to respect you by making him back away before he has a chance to bite. Watch for the signs of the impending bite and react before he gets a chance to actually do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yarrehlane.webs.com
mineees
mineees

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I wasnt going to reply to this thread, but thought I may as well. My stallion Oakie has bitten me for 10 years.He is well know for the bitting boy. He did stop from doing it at home and slowed up from doing it in the ring,but still got one in at some stage. When he bit me I started smacking him on the nose,but only if I was quick enough to get him as he was getting me. Then he got marched backwards quick and fast.Every time he goes to nip he gets pushed backwards.He backs up really well now.I jerk his halter back towards his neck(standing in front of him) and make him back up really fast and for how ever long I want him too.Then we just stand there for a few seconds,dont speak or look at him,and the turn into him and walk off as normal.I did this and it seemed to work for him.But he still gets the odd bite in when we are in the ring,Ive just learnt to live with it as its his little bit of him I s'pose.The first time in the ring he reared up and struck out at me and tried to bite.He was about 2 I think then.I just jerked him and backed him up nearly around the whole ring.I then apologised to the judge,who said I did good.Now he is an old man and if he misbehaves he still backs up and then stands there looking at me saying sorry.

And then to my other stallion, he reared when we first bought him.I hate horses that rear.He got jerked and pushed back straight away.I only had to do this too him a few times and hes never reared again.

But you have to do this with meaning.Hard and fast and telling him NO.then when you turn into them and walk off saying walk on in your happy voice as if nothing happened.

Im not sure if other people will agree with me, but it worked for us.Even our big horses get jerked back if they misbehave.Boys or girls. sunny
Back to top Go down
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 12:39 pm

mineees wrote:

Im not sure if other people will agree with me, but it worked for us.Even our big horses get jerked back if they misbehave.Boys or girls. sunny

You are absolutely right, that was exactly what I was referring to. In a herd environment if a horse bites another horse they don't whack them or pinch them on the nose they make them back away and learn some respect. You must teach them that you are the leader and they should respect you at all times and when they try to push the boundaries they will be put on the outer until they can behave.

Oh and make sure you do your training in a rope halter so that your commands are understood as webbing halters have too much play in them for the horse to listen.
Back to top Go down
mineees
mineees

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Oh and make sure you do your training in a rope halter so that your commands are understood as webbing halters have too much play in them for the horse to listen.[/quote]

thanks YarrehLane

try and use a rope halter all the time BUT when he does it wearing a webbing or a bridle OR in the ring STILL DO IT...you get more effect from a rope halter but you still need to do it as soon as he does something. So if you are in the ring and he rears,hammer him then and there and then apologise to the judge.Most judges will be ok,if you get one that gets poopy,just use it as a learning curve.
Back to top Go down
mysticalmeadows
Valued User
Valued User

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 6:03 am

wow thanks heaps for the replies!
i got to my wits end with him and brought in the big guns lol!
well acutally i packed him up and took him to my mums! she has a round yard there and her hubby is very good with horses! there neighbour is also a horsey person and has some big horses there, we have been handling him every day and been putting him and his mum out with the big horses, i must say he is improving wiht everyone but me! but i am learning it is mostly my fault, i babied him and sooked him and made him forget he was a horse! which he is now learning that he is! and he is improving i can walk him on the rope now and he is fairly well behaved he tries to nip my hand while im leading him but i am trying the NO comand and he is slowly repsonding, he will walk with me and stand next to me with not too much drama i am thinking im gonna try him out at our lil show we have here! as for his rearing he only does that to me too, and im gonna try the method written here i really dont want him to do that at the show cause im only a learner like him and yeh sooo now to find all the things i need to do to get him ready for his very first show in less then a month!!
thanks again for the advice i really appreciate it I love you
Back to top Go down
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Good luck with it. Persistence is the most important thing and I am sure you and he will work together good in no time. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

please help me!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: please help me!    please help me!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

please help me!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aussie Miniature Equines :: Horse Topics :: General Horse Chat-
Jump to: