For all Australians who own and love Miniature Horses and Ponies.

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Still miss my COBRA heaps
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am by howlwolfranch

» Deshifuck.mobi
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am by maritame

» Download Livros De Fisioterapia Uroginecologia
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm by maritame

» Aurora 3D Presentation 2012 12.03.24
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 am by maritame

» Hot Village Maid Aunty Seduces The Youth And Blackmail Him Target=
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 6:47 am by maritame

» Getting yellowed/blonde manes & tails looking clean!?
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm by Dash_01

» We are new too!
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm by Dash_01

» Face Book...
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am by Craig Rheynolds

» Craig Rheynolds
Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 am by Craig Rheynolds

Top posters
PONYKID
Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_lcapUsing DNA to find pedigree Voting_barUsing DNA to find pedigree Vote_rcap 
mineees
Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_lcapUsing DNA to find pedigree Voting_barUsing DNA to find pedigree Vote_rcap 
aliasmel
Willowmoss
deltree
YarrehLane
Sialer Park Mini Stud
mysticalmeadows
kimmini
misty meadow miniatures
Like us on Facebook!
Poll
Breeders Poll
I breed foals with my own stallion
Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_lcap56%Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
I breed foals with an outside stallion
Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_lcap33%Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
I buy mares that are already in foal
Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_lcap0%Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I buy weanlings to raise
Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_lcap0%Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_lcap11%Using DNA to find pedigree Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Using DNA to find pedigree

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aponi

Using DNA to find pedigree Empty
PostSubject: Using DNA to find pedigree   Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 4:17 am

um, not sure where this post goes so please excuse me if this is the wrong place.
As I said in my intro, I have 2 ponies with breeding unknown. They were saved from before going to a dogger in June this year, I didnt buy them direct, have bought them after. I am told the colt has an
American sire, there were about 40 minis in total from out Texas way, all scared, most unhandled differing ages. I am told the owner was too old (80yrs) to continue looking after them. But unsure what is hearsay or not.
My questions are,
1. who sends the DNA into IMHR to be tested?
2. What needs to be sent (hair/blood?)
3. If it comes up with a pedigree, am I allowed to use that for registrating purposes? If I do not have certificate stating such from original breeder?
4. Can they do colour testing or pinto testing?
5. If i was to register first as unknown and have a new name, and then do a DNA test would I have to change the pony's name etc?

Sorry its so confusing to me, and I may sound a little stupid, but hey someone must know something Wink
Back to top Go down
snotblock

PostSubject: Re: Using DNA to find pedigree   Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 3:25 pm

1;owner of the pony responsible for dna

2;hair from mane with roots attached

3;as far as i know yes (from the same experience i had)

4;?...

5;cannot change original name

Back to top Go down
deltree
deltree

PostSubject: Re: Using DNA to find pedigree   Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 12:09 am

yep, agreed. Number 4 I think you have to send samples overseas to be DNA'd? There are a couple of members here who do it so will be able to shed some light for you Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.deltreephoto.webs.com
PONYKID
PONYKID

PostSubject: Re: Using DNA to find pedigree   Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:49 am

Soooo IMHR can do DNA testing? Or do you get someone else to do it and send the results in to IMHR? Question I need to get some DNA on file for a couple of mine and was wondering who did it.

snotblock

PostSubject: dna   Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 2:42 pm

if the ponies are american registered then you have to go through the amha society,i think you can still download application form from their site.
Back to top Go down
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

PostSubject: Re: Using DNA to find pedigree   Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 am

Are they branded?? Perhaps you could start there before going to the expense of DNA testing and coming up empty handed as it's not a cheap thing to do especially when you don't have the parents DNA sheet to compare to yourself. And if the parents DNA aren't on file it would be a wasted expensive exercise. Good luck to you! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.yarrehlane.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using DNA to find pedigree   Using DNA to find pedigree Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using DNA to find pedigree
Page 1 of 1