For all Australians who own and love Miniature Horses and Ponies.

HomeSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Still miss my COBRA heaps
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am by howlwolfranch

» Deshifuck.mobi
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am by maritame

» Download Livros De Fisioterapia Uroginecologia
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm by maritame

» Aurora 3D Presentation 2012 12.03.24
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 am by maritame

» Hot Village Maid Aunty Seduces The Youth And Blackmail Him Target=
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 6:47 am by maritame

» Getting yellowed/blonde manes & tails looking clean!?
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm by Dash_01

» We are new too!
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm by Dash_01

» Face Book...
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am by Craig Rheynolds

» Craig Rheynolds
Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 am by Craig Rheynolds

Top posters
PONYKID
Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_lcapAnyone know about Palouses? Voting_barAnyone know about Palouses? Vote_rcap 
mineees
Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_lcapAnyone know about Palouses? Voting_barAnyone know about Palouses? Vote_rcap 
aliasmel
Willowmoss
deltree
YarrehLane
Sialer Park Mini Stud
mysticalmeadows
kimmini
misty meadow miniatures
Like us on Facebook!
Poll
Breeders Poll
I breed foals with my own stallion
Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_lcap56%Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
I breed foals with an outside stallion
Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_lcap33%Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
I buy mares that are already in foal
Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_lcap0%Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I buy weanlings to raise
Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_lcap0%Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_lcap11%Anyone know about Palouses? Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Anyone know about Palouses?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Willowmoss
Willowmoss

Anyone know about Palouses? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know about Palouses?   Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 am

One of my stallions has palouse breeding on his sire's side. His dam is ordinary brown.

My questions are does "polouse" carry?
Can my stallion produce spotties?

He has some white spotting/flects around his sheath could that mean he is a spotty too?

Em
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/willowmossponystud
BFFmini
Frequent User
Frequent User
BFFmini

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know about Palouses?   Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 11:26 pm

From what I've always thought..(mind you I could be totally wrong Embarassed )
palouse is an appoloosa pony...

If your boy has palouse spotting or flecking then he could breed this on... does he have stripey hooves?

I have a mare that has palouse from her sire, she has some spots and flecking on her back, mottling on her skin and stripped hooves...I have my fingers crossed that she will breed me a spotty baby.
Back to top Go down
Mystical
Contributor
Contributor
Mystical

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know about Palouses?   Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 am

An appy is a spotted horse over 14hands high - because there were spotted horses under 14hhs but couldn't be registered with the appy society - the Palouse Society was formed. The name Palouse was chosen as an original name which could not be confused with the Appaloosa Horse. Palouse was chosen as the name because it is the name of the valley and river in Idaho U.S.A. where the Nez Perce Indians bred the colourful horse which has since been popularised as the Appaloosa Horse while the pony is now known in Australia as the Palouse. It can be a bit confusing with mini's as some people say they are appy's and others palouse depends on their thinking. If it's a miniature horse some people don't like saying palouse because palouse is association with "pony" not horse but think that's just a persons mind set. For miniatures - appys or palouse mean they have spots lol....

There are three distinctive characteristics (apart from the spots lol) : mottled skin, striped hooves, and a visible white sclera around the eye. Skin mottling is "a basic and decisive indicator of an Appaloosa" and is usually seen around the muzzle, eyes, anus and genitalia. Striped hooves are particularly bold in many Appaloosas, but may occur in other horses, and the visible white sclera is seen more often in Appaloosas than in other breeds.

Not every Appaloosa horse exhibits visible coat spotting. However, even apparently solid-colored horses who carry at least one dominant LP allele will exhibit characteristics such as vertically striped hooves, white sclera of the eye, and mottled skin around the eyes, lips, and genitalia. Sometimes, Appaloosas may also exhibit sabino or pinto type markings. Any horse that shows Appaloosa characteristics carries at least one allele of the dominant "leopard complex" (LP) gene.

So I'd say if he's appy bred and carrys the other characteristics of the appy he's carrying the LP allele which means yes he could produce appy... only saying could because the only appy that breds 100% appy is the fewspot...

Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mysticalpark
Willowmoss
Willowmoss

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know about Palouses?   Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:10 am

Thanks Mystical that made sence, I would guess he isnt as he is jet black and has black skin and has black hooves. His colouring near his sheath made me think that maybe he could but i guess he cant :0
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/willowmossponystud
Mystical
Contributor
Contributor
Mystical

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know about Palouses?   Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 am

Does he have any of the mottling on his lips?? - you should have at least one stripped hoof and if all four are solid I'd say probably not as well... but if perchance you bred him to a solid and an appy appeared at least you'd know where he came from lol.... but seriously no it doesn't sound like he has the appy gene....

Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mysticalpark
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know about Palouses?   Anyone know about Palouses? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone know about Palouses?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aussie Miniature Equines :: Horse Topics :: General Horse Chat-
Jump to: