Aussie Miniature Equines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all Australians who own and love Miniature Horses and Ponies.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Still miss my COBRA heaps
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2014 8:21 am by howlwolfranch

» Deshifuck.mobi
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:31 am by maritame

» Download Livros De Fisioterapia Uroginecologia
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 3:41 pm by maritame

» Aurora 3D Presentation 2012 12.03.24
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 7:40 am by maritame

» Hot Village Maid Aunty Seduces The Youth And Blackmail Him Target=
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 6:47 am by maritame

» Getting yellowed/blonde manes & tails looking clean!?
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm by Dash_01

» We are new too!
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 5:03 pm by Dash_01

» Face Book...
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am by Craig Rheynolds

» Craig Rheynolds
Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 am by Craig Rheynolds

Top posters
PONYKID
Ross River Virus Vote_lcapRoss River Virus Voting_barRoss River Virus Vote_rcap 
mineees
aliasmel
Willowmoss
deltree
YarrehLane
Sialer Park Mini Stud
mysticalmeadows
kimmini
misty meadow miniatures
Like us on Facebook!
Gallery
Ross River Virus Empty
Poll
Breeders Poll
I breed foals with my own stallion
Ross River Virus Vote_lcap56%Ross River Virus Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
I breed foals with an outside stallion
Ross River Virus Vote_lcap33%Ross River Virus Vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
I buy mares that are already in foal
Ross River Virus Vote_lcap0%Ross River Virus Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
I buy weanlings to raise
Ross River Virus Vote_lcap0%Ross River Virus Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
None of the above
Ross River Virus Vote_lcap11%Ross River Virus Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Ross River Virus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PONYKID
PONYKID

Ross River Virus Empty
PostSubject: Ross River Virus   Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 am

I just received this email from a lady who just lost her horse to the virus, and thought I would share it so that others are aware of the symptoms:

Quote :
Today is a very sad day for me.
My pony died last night after a horrendous fight for over a week.
This started out as we thought with Colic symptoms on Wednesday the 6th. Then all his glands swelled to ridiculous size, even his poor sheath.
He stopped eating on Friday to start eating again on Sat, during this time, we have walked him for hours, stood for hours to let him eat, to make sure he didn't go down.
By Monday his heart was racing that hard he couldn't breath properly to keep up with it. He had every blood test you could think of and the vet was still puzzled. Tuesday, he wanted to eat again, but by that night he was on his side in the stable writhing in pain. I stayed with him all night, he was up the next day, amazingly, but he had given up, then he started very bad colic symptoms again, we walked him slowly for hours to stop him going down. Then he was so sad, lathered in sweat and breathing very heavy. The vet came out and did an internal, no twist ? She shoved a tube down his nose and to state there was very little stomach content, so she placed the usual warm water, sugar, paraffin oil and a couple of other things in his tummy, incase he had a blockage, gave him some pain medication and left, puzzled again.
He died peacefully approx 2 hours later, at least he is in no more pain.
So please I hope your ponies or horses never have to go through all this pain.
The vet is very certain it was the ross river virus.
I am writing to you to let you know what too look out for, he was 13hh, dark brown with a lovely white blanket and spots a very strong beautiful healthy pony, I will miss him dearly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theponykid.webs.com
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

Ross River Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross River Virus   Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 am

My old brood mare had this virus 12 years ago.I had sent her to a stud as a 4 yr old.I call it the stud from hell now. She came back a real mess,she had the virus plus a smashed up back leg and the worst infection the vet had ever seen, it was touch an go there for awhile but lucky I had a spot on vet at the time and she pulled through.She lived on pain killers for about 5 mths.anti viral meds and depression meds as thats part of the virus.she didnt show any colic type symptons but she was very un well. Its a horriable virus
Back to top Go down
kimmini
Valued User
Valued User
kimmini

Ross River Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross River Virus   Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 am

Forot to say that my girls bloods came back saying ross river virus, so we new what to do straight away.
Back to top Go down
YarrehLane
Valued User
Valued User
YarrehLane

Ross River Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross River Virus   Ross River Virus Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am

I heard this is going around the Hunter Valley at the moment....bloody mosquitos! Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.yarrehlane.webs.com
Sponsored content

Ross River Virus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ross River Virus   Ross River Virus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ross River Virus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aussie Miniature Equines :: Horse Topics :: Health / Nutrition-
Jump to: